Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It happens to the best of us!

Despite a few recent successes, it's a well known fact that I'm not very talented in the kitchen. Last night I again reminded myself that I am indeed a work in progress!

Because it was Monday and Darrell declared it the beginning of another do or die 15 lb. weight loss challenge (you know this is a weekly occurrence in our house, right?) I decided I would make a recipe out of my Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. What's not to love about Peppered Steak and Sweet Potato Fries, especially when it's all healthy. I'll start with the good news - the sweet potato fries were edible and tasted normal. The bad news is that I had to throw 6 servings of peppered steak in the trash. The picture looked normal, the recipe sounded normal and it smelled delicious as it was cooking but upon taste testing one that had fallen apart in the skillet, my mouth literally blew up! It was soooooooo hot. The recipe called for 4 tbsp of parsley, 3/4 cup of cooked rice, 1 tsp of salt, 1 lb of ground beef and 4 tsp. of pepper. It doesn't sound like much. I mean you are making a PEPPERED steak but good Lord, 4 tsp. is really uncalled for. Anyway, so I went on with dinner as planned. Darrell dumps pepper or hot sauce on everything so I knew he wouldn't be bothered by it. Well, I was wrong. He was bothered by it just as much as I was. Not only were we bothered by the intense taste of the pepper but the grape juice/balsamic vinaigrette sauce/gravy you were supposed to drizzle on top bothered us as well. By 8:15, after trying the fist serving with the sauce and then trying a second serving with out the sauce, we threw in the towel, dumped it all in the trash and made our way to the Wendy's drive-thru.

Darrell asked if I was going to try and redeem myself in the kitchen tonight. Of course I am, but this time I think I'll stick to something easy like chicken.

Bon Appétit.

No comments: