Tuesday, August 18, 2009

For my husband.

Darrell reads my blog for entertainment. And he apparently needs entertaining today, as he informed me that I needed to write an update and tell everyone how great he is.

Everyone,
Darrell. is. a. fabulous. husband.

moving right along...

There are times when I think I am getting the hang of this cooking, housekeeping, grocery shopping, domestic goddess thing and then there are times like last night when I seriously wonder what I've gotten myself into.
As I made out my grocery list last night, I wrote down things needed for a recipe I was going to try. I clearly wrote on my list that I need Parsley. Parsley with a P. Well, I bought Cilantro. Cilantro with a C. Luckily, the Quinns just happened to have some in stock and sent Darrell home from Pre-Season football with a zip lock full! God Bless The Quinns!

On to the next recipe mis-hap...

I don't like it when recipes call for you to do something "to taste." That's not my style. I need exact measurements. This notion was clearly proven when a recipe I tried last week called for crushed red pepper flakes "to taste." So I just started shaking red pepper flakes into the bowl and stopped when I thought it was enough. I obviously haven't used red pepper flakes before. Well, the recipe was for Baked Ziti and I was making it for some friends who just had a baby. As I was leaving their house, I was sure I had just dropped off a really good dinner and was very proud of myself for pulling it off. Mission Accomplished.

Darrell was hanging out with some guys that night, one of which was the new daddy that I had made dinner for. When Darrell got home, he asked me what I had made for them. So I told him. He asked what was in it? So I told him. And then he said, "Justin said he wasn't expecting that kick at the end." Kick? What kick? Ohhh hell, the red pepper flakes! Because the recipe made so much, I split it in half and kept some for us as well. The next night we tried it. I'm not sure what "kick" they were talking about because it felt more like a punch to me! That stuff was seriously hot! Extremely HOT! I feel terrible. It gets worse. Did I mention that these friends also have a 2, maybe 3 year old? I'm sure they had to spray her off with the fire extinguisher when her mouth burst into flames after taking the first bite. Justin & Lisa, I am so sorry! Once I get better at this I'll make it up to you! Promise!

1 comment:

Amanda Wells said...

I made a stew once with red pepper flakes. It was a total disaster. My mouth was on fire. You're not alone!