Monday, July 27, 2009

That's Martha with a Capital M.

If you read BFF's blog you might have read a little something about this...



If you haven't read about it, here is a little back ground info:

I received a Tyler and Co. Candle for my birthday from Ashlea, I mean Claire. While unloading my gifts from the car after dinner, I ended up basically throwing a bag across the parking lot (on accident of course) and smashing a perfectly good candle to pieces. Being the crafty Bff that she is, she figured out a way to transfer my good candle from the smashed up jar to a Tyler & Co. jar that she had just thrown out. Once we were done, it basically looked and was described by others as guacamole in a jar.

Well, I got tired of seeing the guacamole on my kitchen counter and not to mention that the wick was so messed up it was barely burning anymore, so I decided to fix the problem.

First I would need one of these with hot water.

Then I half way submerged the candle jar into the pot and turned the heat to low. I waited until the wax melted to a complete liquid form and fished the remaining wick out. (I used this method with another old candle and recovered 2 wicks from it to re-use later in this project.)

Once the wax was liquid, I slowly eased it out of the hot water bath and placed it on a trivet to cool. As it was cooling I used a little dental floss along with a comb to rig up some sort of contraption to keep the wicks from sinking to the bottom of the jar. It ended up looking like this...




Do you know how hard it is to tie dental floss to a comb without any assistance? And make sure both strings are even lengths? Pretty hard. After wrestling with that I realized that I needed to put the wicks a little lower than I initially had. So I took a tooth pick and pushed them down a little bit. Luckily the bottom was returning to its original waxy form and was mushy rather than liquid and it allowed me to move the wicks down with out losing losing them.

I wish I would have paused a minute to take a "before" picture but my excitement kept me from even thinking about it!!

The end result... TA DA!!!!!






1 comment:

Anna said...

Way to go, M! You should be very proud of yourself!