Friday, August 20, 2010

Delivery Day

I had to stop by my doctor's office the other day and as I entered the door I saw the largest pair of kankles (besides mine) I have ever seen in my entire life and I immediately felt tired, fat, swollen and sorry for this poor girl. As I made my way toward the elevator the mom-to-be saw me carrying AP in her car seat and motioned for me to enter the elevator before her. Knowing first hand how miserable she felt I motioned her to go before me. After a few, "No, you first" from each of us I finally entered the elevator. Sweet mommy-to-be asked how old AP was and how much she weighed and I asked her when she was due. And in the most excited voice a women carrying an easy extra 30 lbs. could muster up she said, "Today!" As she stepped off the elevator and I saw the familiar layout of the floor, I quickly remembered how excited I was to take the same elevator to the exact same floor a little over a month ago.

It was Wednesday and I went to the doctor for a regular scheduled check up. When Dr. Brantley came in she said we were going to have to reschedule my induction date and asked when I would like to do it. Of course, feeling just like the girl I mentioned above, I sarcastically said, "how about today?" just knowing that she was going to laugh in my face. And while she did indeed laugh she at least said we could discuss it after she checked me. Well it was no surprise that I was still at 1 cm and I just knew she was going to say, "see you next week" but instead she said she would call and see if they had a room for me and that we would go from there. I honestly don't think I have ever prayed harder in my life and luckily God answered my prayers. The hospital had a room and Dr. B. was going to insert a balloon to thin out my cervix and help me dilate and then send me on over to the hospital to check in.

The balloon was more than awkward so I'll spare you the details on that. After that little procedure, I waddled over to check in and my nurse greeted me at the door. I was so pumped and so jazzed to be there that I practically made out with her until she told me that my room wasn't going to be ready for a while and asked me if I had anything to do. Since I wasn't really expecting to have a baby that day I hadn't really prepared myself. I didn't have my bag with me and I hadn't shaved my legs in a couple of days. So, of all things I asked if maybe I could go home and to take a shower and shave my legs. God must have really been listening to me that day because she asked how far away I lived and then granted me permission when told her. So I go home, shower, shave and pack a few remaining items in our bags and Darrell and I head back up to the hospital around 5:30. That night was pretty unproductive. I met my nurse, she started my IV and Darrell and I hung out until we went to sleep. My nurse came in the next morning to check me and remove the balloon. Over night I had dilated from 1 cm to 5 cm, which meant that when Dr. Brantley made her rounds she would break my water!!!


I was pretty anxious about everything that was going to take place that day. From not being able to eat to the enema, I had analyzed everything. The one thing I really didn't worry about was breaking the water. In the birth class they said it wouldn't hurt because there were no nerves involved blah, blah, blah and they were right but they failed to mention just how uncomfortable it was. Just try to imagine 4 gallons of water pouring out of your body uncontrollably and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Yes, it as that awkward. So after she broke my water it was time for the epidural. Now this I had given an extreme amount of thought and I was petrified. When my nurse said she was going to go ahead and put me on the list I literally broke out into cold sweats. Then the anesthesiologist arrived. Talk about sweating like a man. I couldn't even watch him prep the stuff. But it turns out I had gotten worked up about nothing. The procedure was over within a few seconds and I was well on my way to a pain free delivery. It was AMAZING and I highly recommend it!

At 10:30 my nurse came in to check me again and I had only progressed to 6 cm. She kept asking me if I felt any pressure down there and I had no idea what she was talking about so I told her no. At 11 I hit the call button and said something along these lines, "could you tell my nurse that I am beginning to feel that pressure she was asking me about." Little did I know that the pressure she was talking about was AP trying to make her way out and into the world. So she checked me and I was at 9 cm and she said it was time to push! I didn't know what to do. I was so excited but when she said "push" the reality of it hit me, I was about to have a baby! The epidural worked very well, almost to well. The right side of my body was so numb and so heavy that I couldn't even pick my leg up by myself, so as we pushed my nurse had to hold it up for me. And because it was taking both of her hands to hold one leg and foot she told Darrell she was going to need his help. No one else was in the room except the 3 of us and he was already standing there next to me so it only made sense that he should help. But we had previously had the conversation about whether he should or shouldn't look, you know, down there while it was all going down and I had instructed him that he was by no means allowed anywhere near there. So when she asked him to move down and help he literally ran over my IV pole trying to back away from the area I had previously banned him from and still be helpful at the same time. I couldn't help but laugh because you could tell exactly how excited he as well as how scared to death he was! And then the nurse called him out and asked where he was going and told him that he started this and now he was going to have to help finish it and brought him to the front lines of the battle. We did 4 sets of pushes and she was ready to call Dr. Brantley who just so conveniently walked in right at that moment. She wasn't expecting to deliver a baby though. She was actually coming to tell me that she was about to leave for her satellite clinic in Forrest and that Dr. Moses was going to have to deliver AP but when she saw how far along I was she decided to stay for a little while longer! Once she got ready we did one more set of pushes and at 12:37 I had the most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen.

The kankles, heart burn, kidney stone, sleepless nights and body aches were all worth it to be able to see this sweet face everyday and even if it wasn't as easy as it honestly was, I would 100% do it all over again. No questions asked. No doubt about it.



1 comment:

Kati said...

Beautiful story! I can't wait to see what my own holds!! She is precious :>